Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Make Free-Standing Pull-Up Bar from 2x4's

I've wanted a freestanding pull-up unit for the garage for a while. I've used a door-mounted bar for 2-1/2 years, so I decided to make one finally. There a lot of plans on the internet, but nothing worked for my situation. I'll post pictures, then tell you what I did and what I would do differently.



What I used:

2-7 ft. 2x4's
6-22 inch 2x4's
1-38 inch 2x4
1-36 inch long 3/4 inch black pipe
2-3/4 black pipe flanges
8 #14 1 inch wood screws (for flanges)
A lot of 2-1/2 inch wood screws

(It cost me about $34)

What I would do differently:


  • I would screw 2 7 foot 2x4's together for each side of the pull-up bar. They are stable, but I would make them more solid so I could feel better about kipping for muscle-ups.
  • I would make the support legs longer (36 inches). It won't tip on dead hang pull-ups but kipping for muscle-ups will (that's where the sandbags come in).
  • I would use fatter pipe--1 inch or 1-1/2 inch.
What's on the bar?

  • Suspension Straps I made for rows, dips, and push-ups.
  • Thick grips (made of foam)
  • Towels-for towel pull-ups

Have you made a bar? Share a link below.



5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! Exactly what I was looking for. I have rings as well as a door bar, but when the kids are napping, I need the door closed, so I will be making this after the holidays.

    I just bookmarked this page, but as I was clicking the back button, I saw you were located in Bloomington, IL. I thought it was just something with the coding that fetched my zip code and then put it in the "About" section (still could be, I suppose), but I'm a student at ISU right now and have lived in Bloomington all my life (just to share lol). Small world, I guess!

    Thanks again!
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to try making this Sunday. You mentioned that if re-doing this you would double up on the 2x4's for the sides going up. I assume that this would shorten the pipe size needed by 4 inches, is that correct?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could shorten the pipe length by 3 inches (2x4s are actually 1.5 inches thick) or you could add the extra 2x4 on the outside.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. could you repost the pictures, cant see them

    ReplyDelete